Ugh.
KUTradition
Contributor

Re: 2024

Post by KUTradition »

i thought you were moving to florida?

liar
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Well I'll be damned!

Who knew that housing prices go down sometimes?
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:15 pm Fish nailed it.
I'd add a 4th - lotta fucking entitled for no reason people.
That’s sorta what I was getting at. Some of it is parents-money fuckabouts. But not all of it, not by any means.

We all come at this conversation from our own backgrounds, and the biases that come with them. My background informs a very strong bias against a culture of “too good for the bottom rung of any ladder.” And I have found that particular culture to be more pervasive in SoCal than anywhere else I’ve spent meaningful time.
Cassandra

Post by Cassandra »

Shirley wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:23 pm Well I'll be damned!

You would think it would be common sense, but many on here posted several times that they did not believe homes could go down.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

more lies?
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Cassandra wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:38 pm
Shirley wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:23 pm Well I'll be damned!

You would think it would be common sense, but many on here posted several times that they did not believe homes could go down.
Was it ‘ever’ or ‘this winter, or sooner’?
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Prices going down because of market decline are not the same thing as prices being adjusted to sell after being priced to gouge.
Cassandra

Post by Cassandra »

"Priced to gouge". That describes any home or apartment for sale over the last 5 years. Nothing has been sold at a real value.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Cassandra wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:37 pm "Priced to gouge". That describes any home or apartment for sale over the last 5 years. Nothing has been sold at a real value.
I was thinking no one could be this stupid, but your back record is supportive of the notion.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Overlander wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:39 pm
Cassandra wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:37 pm "Priced to gouge". That describes any home or apartment for sale over the last 5 years. Nothing has been sold at a real value.
I was thinking no one could be this stupid, but your back record is supportive of the notion.
It’s always fun when the libertarians turn into free market denialists (or, in DeSantis’ related case for example, when the small-governmentistas turn into strong-arm regulators of businesses’ choices to do business or not do business with whom they please).

It’s not WRONG to say that there are market factors that are much stronger now than, say, ten years ago. But they are still just that: market factors.

If one wanted to seriously combat the problems posed by private equity (large and small) buying up real estate and going all rent-seeker on the normies, one would start with…tax policy changes that the entire right would lose its collective shit over.
Cassandra

Post by Cassandra »

Well, I'm not a libertarian, so I assume that wasn't in regards to me.

The biggest market factor was the Fed, which should not have put rates at zero for so long. That's what allowed too many people to borrow a huge amount of debt that many will not be able to repay. Now that the FFR is above 5%, banks are starting to fail. Might not see much lending happening in 2025 and beyond, similar to what happened in 2009. I digress, the point is, if the Fed had never allowed rates to remain at zero for a decade, home prices would have never risen to what they became. If I sold someone a home in the last few years in a bubble market, I would feel bad about it.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

If I sold someone a home in the last few years in a bubble market, I would feel bad about it.

What about selling masks during a pandemic?
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Cassandra wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:24 pm You're half right. The whole state of California is going to shit, like Colorado.
This is a common rationalization among those who can't make it there.

You are gonna love living in Arkansas. That smell coming from the Tyson plant is the smell of a steady paycheck.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

And go figure Colorado is mostly going to shit cuz of the Texans
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

japhy wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:08 pm
Cassandra wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:24 pm You're half right. The whole state of California is going to shit, like Colorado.

You are gonna love living in Arkansas. That smell coming from the Tyson plant is the smell of a steady paycheck.
Arkansas has some super cheap land.

Not my favorite country, but there is some pretty fantastic homesteading land down thataway.
Just Ledoux it
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

TDub wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:25 pm

Not my favorite country, but there is some pretty fantastic homesteading land down thataway.
Do post photos of the new homestead when you settle down there. And don't approach your neighbor's meth lab without calling first.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Arkansas absolutely has some phenomenal natural landscapes (many of which are trashed). it’d be a great place to live if you didn’t value your health, education, good infrastructure, economic opportunity, or environmental protection
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

My response in regards to some of the most recent posts.....

The majority of "urban" ares in this country are on the decline in regards to many things/issues.
As far as LA......
Fish is right in regards to the cost of living. It is no doubt high - and there is horrible homeless problem is in the LA area. Meanwhile, clearly there are many many many many many people who can afford the high cost of living who live there. Good for them. I mean, good for those who have earned their wealth in respectable ways and can afford to live the affluent lifestyle they choose to live. Now that being said, of course there is a lot of way overblown obnoxiousness but you know what? If it works for those people and they are happy, who the fuck am I to judge?

To ME, traffic is the most over hyped negative thing about the LA area. Plenty of cities have worse traffic problems. Heck, the city I live in being one of them. I know I am in the minority but I can deal with LA traffic. Then again, when I am in the LA area I am not commuting back and forth to work every day. I'm sure it sucks for those people but as I said, it could be worse.
Yes, for those who don't like traffic and aren't accustomed to traffic, no doubt LA is a negative in that regard.

I don't dispute that there is "too great a percentage of people who don’t fucking do anything" but why would I allow that to have a bearing on me? To those who don't do anything because they are lazy fucks - well then shame on them. Those who don't do anything because that's what makes them happy, and they have an easier lifestyle because of it, and they don't bother me, good for them.

"too many people who are too worried about appearances". "What you drive, what you wear, what you look like. I find personal vanities to be rather gross in general".
* Well, one person could be too many and 5 million could be not all that many. Some people feel its a negative and some feel it's a positive when others care about their appearance. I'm indifferent but I am a 57 year old fat bald fuck with not much money so appearances aren't super important to me.
I think it's another overblown assessment of LA. Of course there are a lot of pretentious fucks and wannabes who try way too hard in regards to their "appearance" but heck, I see the same thing/s in most major cities.
I have hung out with all sorts of people in the LA area from "celebs" to homeless people. I can go to the wealthiest of neighborhoods to the poorest of neighborhoods and I will find people who care too much about their appearances and people who don't give a shit about their appearances - in both the wealthy and poor neighborhoods.

"lotta fucking entitled for no reason people".
* Maybe. Probably. But......
Unless I speak with someone and get a good sense of who they truly are, I can only make an assumption if someone is "entitled" or not.
People often base their opinions on stereotypes.
When I go to LA I actually find it refreshing meeting and and hanging out with people from all walks of life - and I feel that the generalization/s about so many people who live in LA being "fake" and "entitled" is often the polar opposite for me. I have met some extremely real and interesting people who are far from "entitled". Of course there are a "lotta fucking entitled for no reason people" in LA and many other places, and sometimes it's unavoidable to be surrounded by them, but thankfully I am able to tune them out to the best of my abilities and hang out places where I can be with and focus on what I feel are the real and good people.

Back to 2024.......

3 of the 4 people in this video make me nauseous. The one that doesn't is Apoorva. I have a bad feeling Trump is strongly giving consideration to her being the next SLOTUS. Excuse me while I vomit after that thought.

https://twitter.com/Target_Reporter/sta ... 0780886172
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

japhy wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:45 pm
TDub wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:25 pm

Do post photos of the new homestead when you settle down there. And don't approach your neighbor's meth lab without calling first.
I won't be headed there. I do know a guy that just bought 358 acres down there for super super cheap though. He's been there a few months now.
Just Ledoux it