Let’s have a war!

Ugh.
ousdahl

Re: Let’s have a war!

Post by ousdahl »

zsn wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:55 am
ousdahl wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:45 am As generally as possible…

it kinda IS curious that there’s been a polar shift from dems being the “anti-war” party to now being the party of “never met a lethal aid we don’t wanna throw taxpayer dollars at,” while pubs are the ones essentially pumping the brakes on the MIC.

Tho of course, the devil’s in the details.

And when the war thread push comes to shove, both parties tend to march in lock step
I hope I don’t regret jumping in here……

The nuance about the pubs is that they are doing whatever Putin is blackmailing them into doing, which, in this case, happens to be pumping the brakes on MIC spending.

Kompramat is a powerful tool.
I also also meant to mention this yesterday, but, I hope you don't regret jumping in here. If I've been less than cool in discussions here, forgive me. I'm working on it, I promise! As a whole, I feel like you and I have gotten along and had mostly good interactions here, and hope you might agree. I tend to enjoy your perspectives, so feel free to chime in. Besides, you've still got like the coolest avatar of all time.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:19 pm
jfish26 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:13 pm
ousdahl wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:00 pm Biden’s current strategy of piecemeal support has not only yielded 1/5 of Ukraine to Russia so far, but also Biden just seems…ok with conceding it?

You continue to have ZERO idea what this actually means and represents (or you keep saying it, even though you know better).

And things like that just make everything else you say...unserious.

I also meant to ask yesterday, but, would you kindly elaborate on this one too please?
I feel like I’m missing something here.

Biden is walking back expectations, because Ukraine’s prospects are dimming. Ukraine’s prospects are dimming, because Ukraine is running out of ammunition and other materiel. Ukraine is running out of ammunition and materiel, because we have stopped providing it.

What is the point you are trying to make on that?
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:21 pm
zsn wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:55 am
ousdahl wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:45 am As generally as possible…

it kinda IS curious that there’s been a polar shift from dems being the “anti-war” party to now being the party of “never met a lethal aid we don’t wanna throw taxpayer dollars at,” while pubs are the ones essentially pumping the brakes on the MIC.

Tho of course, the devil’s in the details.

And when the war thread push comes to shove, both parties tend to march in lock step
I hope I don’t regret jumping in here……

The nuance about the pubs is that they are doing whatever Putin is blackmailing them into doing, which, in this case, happens to be pumping the brakes on MIC spending.

Kompramat is a powerful tool.
I also also meant to mention this yesterday, but, I hope you don't regret jumping in here. If I've been less than cool in discussions here, forgive me. I'm working on it, I promise! As a whole, I feel like you and I have gotten along and had mostly good interactions here, and hope you might agree. I tend to enjoy your perspectives, so feel free to chime in. Besides, you've still got like the coolest avatar of all time.
I think you had something to do with the avatar 😄
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Navalny reported dead
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:11 am Navalny reported dead
Reading a little about it, he missed several court hearing via webcam in December and his family has been concerned about his well being....has he been dead this entire time?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DeletedUser wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:39 am
Reading a little about it, he missed several court hearing via webcam in December and his family has been concerned about his well being....has he been dead this entire time?
There was court video of him looking in good health just yesterday.

Filling out my custom MAGA Bingo card...let's see, I'll need a square for "The Biden Regime Killed Navalny to Make a Martyr Out of Him and a Widow out of His Wife," ok. And now I'll add one for "Can't You See the Dangers of Political Justice; This is What They're Trying to Do to Trump!"
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

DeletedUser wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:39 am
he’s probably at a club med just living it up, ya know…since putin is such a swell, trustworthy guy
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

He was actually the real leader of Russia, which was why he was arrested. And murdered. Time to take drastic measures IMHO. Use the embargoed money and finish Putin off. Must be done. Tucker is not welcome back. He can go for a walk in Navalny's Siberian prison.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

No one has ever said Putin is a swell trustworthy guy.

But Putin has at least suggested a diplomatic approach to a ceasefire more so than western leaders, and U.S. leaders particularly.

And, why not make that deal?

Cuz here’s the thing:

if Putin DOES stick to a truce, then great, war’s over*, and contrary to the current trajectory of this otherwise, Ukraine doesn’t become Russia (except for the eastern 1/5 of Ukraine that even the U.S. is apparently willing to concede now anyway, and who cares, cuz these are the parts of Ukraine that were and are majority Russian ethnic, Russian speaking, Russian sympathizing, separatist republics that didn’t wanna be part of Ukraine anyway…at least not post-Maidan Ukraine, so fuck em, just like the rest of Russia. Let’s not pretend anyone in the west is really that concerned about places like Donetsk or Luhansk either way…but bonus points to anyone who, even 2 years in, could accurately find these places on a map)

But if Putin does NOT stick to a negotiated ceasefire, then we get to use that as some of the most potent and convincing anti-Putin rhetoric yet, use it as thee reason to keep escalating and perpetuating like we apparently wanna do anyway, and we finally get that WW3 that some of you guys seem so giddy for….enjoy the flash!

*assuming those freedom-and-democracy-loving Azov bros stick to the truce too?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

those who don’t learn from history…
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

"Cuz here's the thing...."

It never fails. Happy Friday people.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:44 pm
jfish26 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:13 pm

You continue to have ZERO idea what this actually means and represents (or you keep saying it, even though you know better).

And things like that just make everything else you say...unserious.

I also meant to ask yesterday, but, would you kindly elaborate on this one too please?

Biden is walking back expectations, because Ukraine’s prospects are dimming. Ukraine’s prospects are dimming, because Ukraine is running out of ammunition and other materiel. Ukraine is running out of ammunition and materiel, because we have stopped providing it.

Thanks for the clarification.

I guess I think of this as less of a binary “more ammunition and materiel equals better prospects for Ukraine,” and something instead like, despite the current strategy of ammunition and materiel to Ukraine, Russia has occupied 1/5 of Ukraine and counting anyway.

There are just too many other factors at play here: the inherent crookedness of for-profit weapons (the U.S. has failed 6 pentagon audits in a row and Ukraine continues to report corruption and fraud among their ranks), Russia is an actual organized national military like 3x the size of Ukraine’s ragtag proud boy volunteer militias, etc.

I’m just afraid the only way Ukraine “wins” at this point is getting a lot more western militaries involved yet. That’s to say WW3. And that is to say, I’m not sure anyone wins that.

So maybe it’s better to look for some other off-ramp at some point. Heck, even twocoach is posting articles like, “maybe we should just piece together some partial victory and call it a victory and be done with this shit”
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Putin is a narcissistic, corrupt liar. A sociopath trained by the KGB to be exactly who he is. He is a true believer in the Soviet state and Stalinism. A murderer who injected himself into the American information space
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

not state…empire

notable difference
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:06 am No one has ever said Putin is a swell trustworthy guy.

But Putin has at least suggested a diplomatic approach to a ceasefire more so than western leaders, and U.S. leaders particularly.

Cuz here’s the thing:

if Putin DOES stick to a truce, then great, war’s over*, and contrary to the current trajectory of this otherwise, Ukraine doesn’t become Russia (except for the eastern 1/5 of Ukraine that even the U.S. is apparently willing to concede now anyway, and who cares, cuz these are the parts of Ukraine that were and are majority Russian ethnic, Russian speaking, Russian sympathizing, separatist republics that didn’t wanna be part of Ukraine anyway…at least not post-Maidan Ukraine, so fuck em, just like the rest of Russia. Let’s not pretend anyone in the west is really that concerned about places like Donetsk or Luhansk either way…but bonus points to anyone who, even 2 years in, could accurately find these places on a map)

But if Putin does NOT stick to a negotiated ceasefire, then we get to use that as some of the most potent and convincing anti-Putin rhetoric yet, use it as thee reason to keep escalating and perpetuating like we apparently wanna do anyway, and we finally get that WW3 that some of you guys seem so giddy for….enjoy the flash!

I'll bet the kids going to school in Ukraine's subway tunnels so that they don't die in missile strikes on their homes would find this hilarious.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

And somewhere out there trumpy dumpty is reading this and saying, GodDamnit why can't I do this!

And the maid comes in to find ketchup and French fries sliding down the wall.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:25 am not state…empire

notable difference

Oh wait so NOW we’re anti-imperial?

Or I guess it’s a matter, once again, of distinguishing the good guy empires from the bad guy empires
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:29 am
ousdahl wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:06 am No one has ever said Putin is a swell trustworthy guy.

Cuz here’s the thing:

I'll bet the kids going to school in Ukraine's subway tunnels so that they don't die in missile strikes on their homes would find this hilarious.
I’ll bet the kids going to school in Ukraine’s subway tunnels so that they don’t die in missile strikes on their homes might wish for no more missile strikes huh
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:20 am
jfish26 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:44 pm

Thanks for the clarification.

I guess I think of this as less of a binary “more ammunition and materiel equals better prospects for Ukraine,” and something instead like, despite the current strategy of ammunition and materiel to Ukraine, Russia has occupied 1/5 of Ukraine and counting anyway.

There are just too many other factors at play here: the inherent crookedness of for-profit weapons (the U.S. has failed 6 pentagon audits in a row and Ukraine continues to report corruption and fraud among their ranks), Russia is an actual organized national military like 3x the size of Ukraine’s ragtag proud boy volunteer militias, etc.

I’m just afraid the only way Ukraine “wins” at this point is getting a lot more western militaries involved yet. That’s to say WW3. And that is to say, I’m not sure anyone wins that.

So maybe it’s better to look for some other off-ramp at some point. Heck, even twocoach is posting articles like, “maybe we should just piece together some partial victory and call it a victory and be done with this shit”
I'm still just blinking my eyes at this.

It's not complicated at all, your squid ink notwithstanding: Ukraine is not and never was capable of winning an open war with Russia without our support. Our support is drying up, because (when it really comes down to it) one of our two major political parties has fallen to Putin.

Twocoach can speak for himself. I will just say that you are, in my opinion, missing the point of the rhetorical walkbacks about what success might look like.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:32 am
jfish26 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:29 am

Cuz here’s the thing:

I’ll bet the kids going to school in Ukraine’s subway tunnels so that they don’t die in missile strikes on their homes might wish for no more missile strikes huh
Yes, they would.