NBA Offseason

Kansas Basketball.
CrimsonNBlue

Re: NBA Offseason

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Durant's going to take a 4-year deal elsewhere. Not a great decision, imho.
Deleted User 104

Post by Deleted User 104 »

Dedric is such a reliable scorer, it's too bad that he's not a little more athletic. I think he will get a deal somewhere.
Deleted User 104

Post by Deleted User 104 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:00 pm
lobster wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:51 pm Zion being sued for 100 million -- what a joke. People are unrealistic in what they expect to sue someone for. I'm not fan of Zion, but I defend him against this type of bullshit that certain attorney's attempt and somehow keep a straight face.
As a defense litigator, I 100% agree and thank you for this sentiment!!!!

But, seriously, the prayed-for damages and opening demands are almost never straight-faced numbers.
Being in your position, why do these people do it? Are they just hoping to get 1% of the 100 million they want?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

lobster wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:43 pm
lobster wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:51 pm Zion being sued for 100 million -- what a joke. People are unrealistic in what they expect to sue someone for. I'm not fan of Zion, but I defend him against this type of bullshit that certain attorney's attempt and somehow keep a straight face.

But, seriously, the prayed-for damages and opening demands are almost never straight-faced numbers.
Being in your position, why do these people do it? Are they just hoping to get 1% of the 100 million they want?
When it comes down to it: strategy. Whether it be PR or a message you want to send to the defendant about what you think the case is worth.

In the end, doesn't matter much if you claim at least $75,000 or $750,000,000 in your Petition, the compensatory damages are what they are. The plaintiff's lawyer has an idea of what the case is worth in general, to him, and to his client.

Also can't forget that $100m sounds like a lot, but this is the wealthiest country in the world. $100m in damage can be done pretty quickly.
Deleted User 266

Post by Deleted User 266 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:56 pm
lobster wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:43 pm

When it comes down to it: strategy. Whether it be PR or a message you want to send to the defendant about what you think the case is worth.

In the end, doesn't matter much if you claim at least $75,000 or $750,000,000 in your Petition, the compensatory damages are what they are. The plaintiff's lawyer has an idea of what the case is worth in general, to him, and to his client.

Also can't forget that $100m sounds like a lot, but this is the wealthiest country in the world. $100m in damage can be done pretty quickly.
Might be a dumb question but - Is it possible they set the number based on what they feel THEIR losses can/would be?
I have little doubt Zion's endorsements etc., may/will exceed 100m but what would Prime Sports take be?
Deleted User 266

Mjl wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:16 pm Silvio!

Now we know why he wasn't at the basketball camp game.
I’m wondering who paid for his trip to NYC. Have to figure being under a microscope it must have been kosher.

Please God - don’t let this garner a future JFC.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Paul1 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:42 pm

I’m wondering who paid for his trip to NYC. Have to figure being under a microscope it must have been kosher.

Fernando I assume, via loan from his agent. Nothing wrong with that.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"After receiving his first question at his introductory news conference -- "Are your shoulders big enough to carry this franchise?" -- Barrett seemed confused by the query.

"I haven't even played a game yet," Barrett said, "so why are you going to ask me a question like that?"

Without missing a beat, his new coach, David Fizdale, responded, "Welcome to New York," drawing loud laughs from the assembled crowd."

Good luck kid.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/270 ... ork-moment
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Paul1 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:42 pm

Now that Falmagne is his legal guardian, he can pay for his travel.
Deleted User 266

MJ & 2 Coach - Thank you for easing my worry!

pdub - I believe it's a combination of his natural personality, those at Duke who worked with him, and his agent and PR people that have prepared him (I'll give his mother credit too) - because I think he's already very polished with the media and a likable guy. Dude can either be the King of New York or Enemy #1 depending on his success - or lack of it. Stay tuned.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Paul1 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:21 pmMight be a dumb question but - Is it possible they set the number based on what they feel THEIR losses can/would be?
I have little doubt Zion's endorsements etc., may/will exceed 100m but what would Prime Sports take be?
On that note, remember all of the bozos on ESPN like Fran that kept saying Zion is going to be worth $1 billion?

Well, NBA agents typically get 5-10% of their client's earnings that they negotiate. What's 10% of $1 billion? Perhaps just coincidence.
Lonestarjayhawk

Post by Lonestarjayhawk »

But unless the contract was a lifelong contract to manage his career, why would lifetime earning be a factor?
LONESTARJAYHAWK
Hall of Fame Contributor
First Ballot illy, dickvard and glugger - - Least Favorite Poster
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

In the contract it stipulates that any relationship developed by Prime that they would get paid for perpetuity. So Zion signs with Nike while they represent him then any money Nike pays Zion they get their cut.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Lonestarjayhawk wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:18 am But unless the contract was a lifelong contract to manage his career, why would lifetime earning be a factor?
I know almost nothing about this case. Just speaking generally.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:56 am
Lonestarjayhawk wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:18 am But unless the contract was a lifelong contract to manage his career, why would lifetime earning be a factor?
I know almost nothing...
^^^

/thread
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Craziest stats I saw today....

Last season, Brook Lopez made 187 three pointers. That's more than Kobe's career high in a season (180). And Lopez's 179 blocks last year bested Kevin Garnett's career high in blocks in a season (178).

Today's NBA is certainly a different animal than just a decade ago.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Budenholzer figured out how to get the most of Lopez.
Deleted User 266

Hoiberg thought he would too. Oops!
https://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/chi ... ake-062716
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

jfish26 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:24 am I assume they’ll get a third guy. Either way, we’ve seen the Bron, two guys and a bunch of Daniel Gibsons before. Especially with Davis’ injury history, this just doesn’t seem destined to end well.
Color me shocked.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/2 ... Free-Agent
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Oof.