next soccer question

Other Sports.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: next soccer question

Post by pdub »

Bradley was a calming force as he tries to maintain possession but he's just too slow and safe at doing it.
He's the Alex Smith of soccer.
He's fine but not game changing.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Yeah, I don't mind what he is there to do, but he is too slow, too indecisive to do it and gives away at least 5 balls every game deep in own half.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Deleted User 266

Post by Deleted User 266 »

pdub wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:31 am Did you watch Paul1?
The US were the better team in the first half.
The Mexicans the better team in the second.

US had four or five good chances - Pusilic's shot in the 5th, Altidore 1 on 1 blew it in the 12th, Arriola just missed wide, Morris had a goal cleared off the line, McKennie's shot was blocked by a Mexican players arm ( though he had his arms behind his back ).

I don't think we showed as well as we should have but it was a close match.
Maybe if the US fans could have packed the house, things would have gone differently.
I did not watch the game live. Read about it and watched some highlights. Despite the stats, from what you tell me, what a co-worker told me, and what I have read - the USA played well but just couldn't score. So hard for me to watch a soccer game (or hockey game) when the team I am rooting for plays well but lays a goose egg. That's why I am happy I didn't spend my later Sunday evening watching the game. Had the USA won - it would have been my loss not to witness it.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Is there a TLDR version of that?
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Saw that CONCACAF changed up WC qualifying.

https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/news/c ... for-usmnt/

Top 6 teams in FIFA rankings automatically to Hex. Top 3 go to World Cup. The 4th place team will play the winner of the CONCACAF teams ranked 7-35 for a chance to play in the inter-continental playoff.

Mexico, US, Costa Rica all should be in Hex. Jamaica, Honduras and El Salvador the other 3 teams. Panama, Canada, Curacao and T&T all close.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

So that eliminates some qualifying games for the top 6 teams?
So now you're more working the FIFA rankings than anything.
I get it - prevents a team like the US playing teams like Aruba - but seems a little unfair to the bubble teams.

I also wonder if the US players are happy about this - fewer qualification games equals less money - and the USSF is secretly into it.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

I honestly think money is the least of their concerns after the embarrassing qualifying effort this last go around. They want nothing more than to qualify and be in safely.

That's my guess anyway. Money is still important, no doubt, but not as high on the list as getting to freaking Qatar for the WC.

Speaking of WC. I realized that when US hosts the WC in 2026. Pulisic will be 27, as will McKennie, Sargent will be 26, Tyler Boyd will be 31, Tyler Adams 27. Point is. A lot of the guys will be in their absolute prime. On home soil. I know it's a long ways away, but they will need to show well when that time comes.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Need to get out of pool play in 2026, but we're another cycle or 2 away from being a real competitor. I thought we were closer than that, then the last 2 years happened.

Pulisic is really frickin' good. We need 4 more of him.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:08 am Need to get out of pool play in 2026, but we're another cycle or 2 away from being a real competitor. I thought we were closer than that, then the last 2 years happened.

I say this almost everytime I watch Pulisic play. But I forget how fast he is with the ball. There were times in the Gold Cup where the defender had some good cushion on him, then that cushion was gone.

I don't follow any of the U-20 guys or anything like that, but is there anybody really good outside of the guys I mentioned above that could be a really good player over the next 8-10 years?

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I'm not the right guy to answer that question. I know the US (only?) made it to the quarterfinals in this year's U-20 WC.

I'll say the same thing I say about KUFB: This isn't something you can ignore. Throw money at it, a lot of money. Watch it (hopefully) grow. Cross your fingers for good luck.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I think Deandre Yedlin is a name to throw in there.
Injury kept him out of the Gold Cup.
Tim Weah is probably our youngest up and comer.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Of note, the World Cup expands to 48 teams for 2026.
Which is dumb.
But i'd guess USA being the more significant of hosts would get an auto qualifier.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:08 am Need to get out of pool play in 2026, but we're another cycle or 2 away from being a real competitor. I thought we were closer than that, then the last 2 years happened.

The problem is that all the serious sides in the world do have at least one of him in each position group in the 11.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:07 am

The problem is that all the serious sides in the world do have at least one of him in each position group in the 11.
Yup.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Well I'd certainly like to see a US roster full of EPL first team guys, but I was trying to keep the wishes realistic within my lifetime.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:14 am

Yup.
It's exactly like Ja Morant or Steph Curry (or Paul George or Kawhi Leonard).
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

But if there was a 20 man Premier League All Star team and 11 of the selections were on your national team.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

STL officially gets an MLS team and SKC finally gets a natural rival.
noosh

Post by noosh »

Fire fuckin Vermes. He's done a lot yes but his desire to turn SKC into Barca-lite with the tiki taka possession style game is dumb. It's boring and it doesn't match up well in what is quintessential american soccer in the MLS...strong, athletic guys just mashing the ball hard hoping to toeblow a deflection into the net.

Also, LOL @ MLS. There aren't enough 5'5'' guys on south american seller clubs to make the league interesting. The league is complete shit and it's only getting worse.