Indiana State Notes/Game Thread

Kansas Football.
NewtonHawk11

Re: Indiana State Notes/Game Thread

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:26 pm Regardless of how good ISU is relative to the rest of the FCS, the fact that we were equaled or even bested at the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball is a bad sign.

We're definitely better coached, save for the headscratching playcalling which has to improve, but the horses just aren't there yet.
Sure. ISU has 5 5th year seniors that were 330 across the board. KU was playing younger guys and another key contributor was suspended.

But I get your point. They were just big. A lot of those FCS teams that are high quality have just big guys that are tough to move.

Play calling was alright. Koenning’ss first game calling plays in a few years. Some rust there.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Boston College took care of VT.
I'm gonna guess our line for that game will be +13 plus.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Yeah, Willis threw 3 INTs and then VaTech had 2 more fumbles for 5 all together. Don't turn the ball over, and KU can still compete.

BCs QB was average. 57% completion percentage. Dillon only got 3.5 yards per carry.

But yes KU will be a 2 TD dog at a minimum.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Good article on why KU struggled in the 4th quarter running the ball in key situations..

https://www.kansas.com/sports/college/b ... 72542.html

Some of it just pure recognition to realize play won't work how it's run, that ISU brought more than KU could handle or just a defender beating the blocker, plain and simple.

holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Catch 22 in that situation. You want to run the ball to close it out but pre-snap either Carter or the OC has to see you are out manned and audible out. At that point Parchment was having a career day and looked to have the corner in man to man. Maybe if it is a different QB that Miles' trusts he lets that QB throw in that situation.

I believe everyone who watched the game last week would say that the KU offensive lineman played a less than desirable game and will have to improve greatly if this team wants to jump from two wins to four this year.
Holidaysmore - 2005
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:18 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:26 pm Regardless of how good ISU is relative to the rest of the FCS, the fact that we were equaled or even bested at the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball is a bad sign.

We're definitely better coached, save for the headscratching playcalling which has to improve, but the horses just aren't there yet.
Sure. ISU has 5 5th year seniors that were 330 across the board. KU was playing younger guys and another key contributor was suspended.

But I get your point. They were just big. A lot of those FCS teams that are high quality have just big guys that are tough to move.

Play calling was alright. Koenning’ss first game calling plays in a few years. Some rust there.
I've been hoping since the hire that Koenning is just a placeholder for this season. I was not excited about Chip Lindsey, so punting the OC spot for another year would be my preference.

The program in general: we're absolutely on the right track and I'm ecstatic. But Saturday's game should be nothing but a reminder to pump the brakes, enjoy the ride, and realize why Les was signed for 5 full seasons. The team is almost all bottom level FBS or FCS players and we're short on numbers.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Koenning isn't a 'sexy' or splash hire but that being said I wouldn't mind having some continuity on the offensive staff. I feel like KU has had a new OC ever year for awhile now.

This program still has a long way to go. I fully expect them to win on Saturday and move to 2-0. We are going to find out a ton about this team when they travel to BC.
Holidaysmore - 2005
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Long ways to go indeed. This is not a 2 year fix. This is a type of fix where Miles is here for 5 years, stabilizes the ship and then hands off the program in much better shape than he received it.

But I wouldn't be shocked if KU got at least two 6 win seasons out of those 5 seasons.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

holidaysmore wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:44 pm Koenning isn't a 'sexy' or splash hire but that being said I wouldn't mind having some continuity on the offensive staff. I feel like KU has had a new OC ever year for awhile now.
Agree in a vacuum that continuity is good, but good is better than continuous.
columbusdjkc

Post by columbusdjkc »

chiknbut wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:33 pm
columbusdjkc wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:32 pm They did good closing it out but I don’t know that their going to win another game this year. Defense was pretty leaky. Run game was easy to stop in the second half.
You don't think Coastal Carolina is a possible win? Really?

Keep in mind one of the best RBs in the league comes back next week.
See what I’m saying? Having the best RB doesn’t really matter as much when your QB can’t throw under pressure and you can stack the box/run blitz, etc.

Defense has also been pretty bad this game. They are getting a lot of yards running the same two or three plays 95% of the time.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Stanley shit the bed. So did Koenning. Can only go up from here I hope.
columbusdjkc

Post by columbusdjkc »

Sparko wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:21 pm Stanley shit the bed. So did Koenning. Can only go up from here I hope.
Me too. I would think you really can’t get worse.
Deleted User 266

Post by Deleted User 266 »

columbusdjkc wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:24 pm
Sparko wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:21 pm Stanley shit the bed. So did Koenning. Can only go up from here I hope.
Well, we start playing real teams now and I have no doubt each one is better than KU - so maybe it can and will get worse. Who are we going to beat? WVU isn't too good but other than them, you have to figure it's all pretty much automatic losses going forward.
columbusdjkc

Post by columbusdjkc »

Paul1 wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:28 pm
Yep. Wonder how many recruits for next year start defecting.
Well, we start playing real teams now and I have no doubt each one is better than KU - so maybe it can and will get worse. Who are we going to beat? WVU isn't too good but other than them, you have to figure it's all pretty much automatic losses going forward.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I think we get blown out a lot but have a chance v WVU.
columbusdjkc

Post by columbusdjkc »

columbusdjkc wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:36 pm
Paul1 wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:28 pm

Yep. Wonder how many recruits for next year start defecting.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

It was basically a game given away by bad coaching in all phases. Preparation was terrible. Plan was awful. Adjustments did not happen. Clock management was worse than early Mangino. QB play was junior high stuff. Kicking game was unready. Defense gashed repeatedly by sweeps and pitches.