pdub
Site Admin

Re: Shoe money trial

Post by pdub »

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

The only surprise is it took this long. College basketball is well down the path of squandering its enormous built-in advantages in service of people who, for financial reasons or otherwise, dribble piss down their leg at the notion of the players getting some approximation of what they're worth.

It blows my mind that you really cannot see that squeezing talent out of the sport is not good for the viability of the sport.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

SQUANDERING AND SQUEEZING!!!
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

If Cal is verified scum because he's been complicit in or aware of players getting improper benefits over the years then sadly our coach is going to be getting labeled scum as well....because as much as some of you hate Calipari he and Self seem to have a lot in common.

Personally I don't think Self is scum. I don't like Calipari and I think he's a douche, but it's not because his players have possibly received improper benefits over the years.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:39 pm If Cal is verified scum because he's been complicit in or aware of players getting improper benefits over the years then sadly our coach is going to be getting labeled scum as well....because as much as some of you hate Calipari he and Self seem to have a lot in common.

Personally I don't think Self is scum. I don't like Calipari and I think he's a douche, but it's not because his players have possibly received improper benefits over the years.
Cal figured out that basketball is a player's game long before anyone else did. And that's exactly what the G League is banking on now.
Deleted User 75

I do find it funny the people who rail on Calipari for cheating have been very quiet about Self....and if not quiet, then they've put the spin on how Self didn't "know" or was a victim...even as texts and phone calls have shown the exact opposite for Self and KT.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Cal is a carnival barker and annoying as hell, but he's also, in a very important way, perhaps the most honest voice in the sport.

(I also note that if, say, Bill and Cal held a joint presser to say this shit needs to be fixed, and players need to be able to monetize name/image/likeness, it would happen, like, that very day).
Deleted User 75

If Cal gets caught up in this that may very well happen....but something makes me feel like he's stayed 1 step away from any texts or calls like they found of Self and KT.

The confidence of K and Cal and Roy in their statements about this stuff make me think they were more careful than us. Self has seemed somewhat nervous ever since this happened...and he has been silent lately as far as I know (as he should be).
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Just a thought experiment:

If, on November 5, the four Champions Classic coaches (just so we're on the same page: K, Cal, Izzo and Self) released a statement saying all net revenue from the event was going to be divided among their players...what would happen?
Kyblueblood

Post by Kyblueblood »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:46 pm Cal is a carnival barker and annoying as hell, but he's also, in a very important way, perhaps the most honest voice in the sport.

(I also note that if, say, Bill and Cal held a joint presser to say this shit needs to be fixed, and players need to be able to monetize name/image/likeness, it would happen, like, that very day).
Calipari would do it. He’s preached for years this should happen and does till this day. He truly is about the poor kids improving their lives and that of their families. He was preaching yesterday at media day “have you seen where some of these kids live, I have”.
He said One and done has been good for the game, although he’d like 2 years. Once the G league is filled with HS talented players, he said there is a 2 year window to make it. Then you are roadkill. He wants the NBA to them pay for the kids college, make them sit a year then be allowed to play. In the end it should be about the players.
I know KU has had some poor kids, we have had plenty. Bledsoe was living in a car. I have zero problems with giving these kids a fraction of what that generate.
Last edited by Kyblueblood on Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 75

jfish26 wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:04 pm Just a thought experiment:

If, on November 5, the four Champions Classic coaches (just so we're on the same page: K, Cal, Izzo and Self) released a statement saying all net revenue from the event was going to be divided among their players...what would happen?
Pwhitts head would explode?
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:39 pm If Cal is verified scum because he's been complicit in or aware of players getting improper benefits over the years then sadly our coach is going to be getting labeled scum as well....because as much as some of you hate Calipari he and Self seem to have a lot in common.

Really cause they got the Adidas guys on trial now. You do know that all the assistant coaches coming up are from Nike schools. Put your head back in the sand and hope and pray this just goes away. What your really saying is you 100% ok with it as long as they don't get caught.
Deleted User 75

The assistant coaches coming up from nike schools are on trial for steering kids to certain financial advisors right? Not for paying kids to go to Nike schools....

Is there a single Nike employee on trial? Like the Gasnolla of Nike for example?.

And I couldn't translate about half your comment, but yes I'm okay with players getting money to go to certain schools. I don't blame them for accepting money and I don't blame the brands for giving it to them.
Deleted User 57

Post by Deleted User 57 »

Kurtis Townsend is an assistant at a Nike school? When did we switch?

Nevermind - I really have no idea what is going on with head and assistant coaches.
I only know our guys have been implicated.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Zion went to Duke for thw brotherhood. And because of his interest in their doctorate programs.
Just Ledoux it
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

KT not up on any charges.

You are correct about a single Nike employee. But why was Gasnolla so free to talk?? Let's say one of the assistants decide the Gasnolla path is the way to go. You open up everything anyone of them knows and I think you may quickly put that head back in the sand.
Deleted User 75

hartjack8 wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:40 pm KT not up on any charges.

You are correct about a single Nike employee. But why was Gasnolla so free to talk?? Let's say one of the assistants decide the Gasnolla path is the way to go. You open up everything anyone of them knows and I think you may quickly put that head back in the sand.
Are you confused?

I'm not saying players aren't paid to go to Nike schools. Why would I stick my head in the sand?

The Nike coaches are on trial for something different than the Adidas employees as far as I know.
imzcount

Post by imzcount »

reubenc

Post by reubenc »

pdub wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:20 am There are college professors earning millions or close to millions of dollars a year.
The highest paid academic in the University of Kansas system is a cardiologist at KU Med who earns a little over half a million per year. The highest paid person who looks like they have some sort of teaching-adjacent position in Lawrence is the dean of the business school at $430,000. The highest paid person in Lawrence whose title doesn't indicate additional responsibilities (so no one who has "director" or "provost" or "chair" in their title or responsibilities) is a "Distinguished Professor" of Microeconomics who earned less than a 300,000 in 2017.
Deleted User 75

reubenc wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:31 pm
pdub wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:20 am There are college professors earning millions or close to millions of dollars a year.
The highest paid academic in the University of Kansas system is a cardiologist at KU Med who earns a little over half a million per year. The highest paid person who looks like they have some sort of teaching-adjacent position in Lawrence is the dean of the business school at $430,000. The highest paid person in Lawrence whose title doesn't indicate additional responsibilities (so no one who has "director" or "provost" or "chair" in their title or responsibilities) is a "Distinguished Professor" of Microeconomics who earned less than a 300,000 in 2017.
How much do our assistant hoops coaches make?