Border War Back On

Kansas Basketball.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: Border War Back On

Post by jfish26 »

Re: this whole thread...the word "butt-hurt" gets thrown around a lot these days.

Pull yourselves together, people.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

Paul1 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:17 pm
pdub wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:03 pm
InfiniteJ wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:51 pm I'm against anything that provides excitement to the University of Missouri and any of it's sports programs.
Just to put this out here again for those who don't understand.
I'm putting this out here for those who don't understand.
Are you also against anything that provides excitement to the University of Kansas and any of its sports programs?
I ask that because I feel it's a sad statement when people are more focused on Missou and what this game means for them than KU and what the game means for KU.
It's a fricking team that used to be our biggest rival. Plenty of history. No team I would rather beat as a KU fan than Missouri.
People want to piss all the history and the rivalry away and don't want to play them now simply because they left our conference?
I'm someone who doesn't get it but hey - to each their own.
selfishly, KU could schedule more exciting, and more beneficial series, than misery
Deleted User 286

Post by Deleted User 286 »

Why are some pretending that the border war game (and KState game) were historically the loudest/most rowdy games of the year in AFH? That last border war game in AFH was nuts and probably top 3 loudest it's ever been.

Sure we could schedule UNC and it'd be similar because of Roy and how good UNC is....but outside of about 4 or 5 programs (most of which we already play or play every few years in the champions classic; duke, UK, MSU) there won't be a more exciting atmosphere than beating Mizzou. Hell, many of us paid to watch the KU alums scrimmage against their alums a year or so ago....I'm don't think as many people do that if it's Ohio State or Arizona.

I think the strategy of some here is to try to make them feel like "we don't really care about playing you" to hurt their feelings...which is fine, and not a bad strategy, but I think it's kind of fake in some instances. A lot of us want to beat them down.

Similar to how many acted like the Wichita State game wasn't a big deal "just another early round tournament game" when most of us knew it meant much more. Yes, meant more to them than us, but still had extra meaning even for our side.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:30 am Re: this whole thread...the word "butt-hurt" gets thrown around a lot these days.

Pull yourselves together, people.
Si senor!

These games are always fun. Always intense. Always great atmospheres. It should have never stopped. It should continue forever until the end of time. And in my eyes, it will continue.

That's all.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Deleted User 286

Is it a defense mechanism in case we lose? Because I've really only seen this attitude with 3 programs: UK, Wichita State, and Mizzou.
Deleted User 89

everyone, that i’m aware of, wants regular matchups with uk

there is no reasonable reason in the world that KU should be scheduling with mu or wsu

those programs and their geography do nothing for KU (the matchups may appease some fans, particularly those in kc and wichita)
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:15 pm In 2020, we’re starting a series with mid major Missouri.
Just to make sure people saw this quality zinger.
Deleted User 89

i laughed
Deleted User 286

TraditionKU wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:57 am everyone, that i’m aware of, wants regular matchups with uk
Yes, but then when it rolls around the few days leading up to the game is lots of "this game doesn't matter" or if it's in the middle of conference season in the big12/SEC thing it's lots of "this game doesn't matter and we should rest our starters and develop our bench for the more important games coming up in the conference race".
Deleted User 266

Post by Deleted User 266 »

TraditionKU wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:57 am everyone, that i’m aware of, wants regular matchups with uk

there is no reasonable reason in the world that KU should be scheduling with mu or wsu

those programs and their geography do nothing for KU (the matchups may appease some fans, particularly those in kc and wichita)
No reasonable reason? What about the Tradition(KU) of playing your biggest historical rival? Meaningless?
Deleted User 89

Paul1 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:16 am

No reasonable reason? What about the Tradition(KU) of playing your biggest historical rival? Meaningless?
in the grand scheme, yes

maybe it’s just me, but i don’t see the schedule come out every year and lament not having misery or wsu on there
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

It isn't just you.
Deleted User 266

Post by Deleted User 266 »

It's not me either but I'll tell you one thing, when I looked at the schedule when Mizzou WAS on it - that was one of the games I looked most forward to. My guess is you guys too.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I hated playing them but loved beating them.
And no, if you think that's an 'ah-ha, you are just scared of loosing to them' got ya, you are wrong in your thinking.
Deleted User 89

i want KU to schedule programs that are of the greatest benefit, from all aspects

misery just doesn’t check enough boxes for me
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

That game will be the most anticipated non-conf game on our schedule next season. By a wide margin.

Most seasons outside of the champions classic, the border war will be the most anticipated game on our non-conf schedule. If both teams are good, then that’s just the icing on the cake.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

dambit. As always, I'm late to the flippin' party.

My $.02 -- I'm with the folks who say we have no reason to throw a bone to those crummy mutts. Didn't miss playing them, and felt we had moved on nicely. Now, this. Screw Mizzou.

Oh, well.
Last edited by ChalkRocker on Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please, I implore you to be reasonable...
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

TraditionKU wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:39 am i want KU to schedule programs that are of the greatest benefit, from all aspects

misery just doesn’t check enough boxes for me
Again, I'll go back to this.

What benefit did KU have in playing former Big 12 members Nebraska and Colorado? There were none. Even less boxes than Missouri. Missouri is actually fighting for some high profile guys in recruiting, so by beating them, could help KU in recruiting.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:44 am That game will be the most anticipated non-conf game on our schedule next season. By a wide margin.

Most seasons outside of the champions classic, the border war will be the most anticipated game on our non-conf schedule. If both teams are good, then that’s just the icing on the cake.
I agree with this. I really can't care less about the regular season anymore, with the streak gone and all that. Nothing - not Duke, UK, whatever - has the juice that the Mizzou game will have. I can't think of a regular season game that would matter more.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Insert "Michael Scott Thank You!" gif here