Dajuan harris junior season

Kansas Basketball.
twocoach

Re: Dajuan harris junior season

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:48 am If Dajuan makes enough of his wide open shots that defenses start thinking twice about giving him so many wide open shots, it makes our team’s ceiling a lot higher.
He isn't going to hit enough to do that. Any coach who stops that is choosing to leave someone else and everyone else is a better option so you just roll with it and live or die with the results.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

he did have a beautifully run fast break with a high step and fake pass...just wonderfully executed.
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:48 am If Dajuan makes enough of his wide open shots that defenses start thinking twice about giving him so many wide open shots, it makes our team’s ceiling a lot higher.
This.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

twocoach wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:50 am
He isn't going to hit enough to do that. Any coach who stops that is choosing to leave someone else and everyone else is a better option so you just roll with it and live or die with the results.
Right.
But I do think you're still allowed to still say, man, I really wish he could hit those wide open shots, he could be even better than he is.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

twocoach wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:49 am
pdub wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:38 am It's not worth it.
Never is.
Vent your frustrations at your own peril around here apparently.

Harris played well but yeah, he had a few just flat out misses in close. He's a terrible shooter so I think him hitting any wide open threes he takes is found money at this point. Just treat them like Dok free throws. Hitting two in a game is an unexpected bonus.
He's not a terrible shooter. 39.3% on 122 attempts. That's a pretty big sample size.
Not saying he's a great shooter, but your description doesn't match reality.

And yeah, when he's as wide open as he was last night, he should have been able to make at least 3 of them, but like TDub said, he's shooting them.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Mjl wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:53 am
Never is.

Harris played well but yeah, he had a few just flat out misses in close. He's a terrible shooter so I think him hitting any wide open threes he takes is found money at this point. Just treat them like Dok free throws. Hitting two in a game is an unexpected bonus.
He's not a terrible shooter. 39.3% on 122 attempts. That's a pretty big sample size.
Not saying he's a great shooter, but your description doesn't match reality.

And yeah, when he's as wide open as he was last night, he should have been able to make at least 3 of them, but like TDub said, he's shooting them.
Absolutely.
I think he's a better shooter than people think but he didn't show that last night.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Part of the issue people think he’s not a better shooter is, when he misses he misses BAD

There’s not often that “shooter’s touch” where a miss might just bounce in and out, or just a little short or long.

When he misses he’s prone to airballing it or bricking it off the side of backboard or something, even when he’s wide open…which is why he’s so often wide open
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Last night was about Dajuan’s offensive ceiling, so that’s going to evoke both positive and negative takeaways.

Probably shot too much in the first, but he took us home. Got a little bit of a breather unlike last game against them.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

The form doesn't matter as much to me as it does the % of times the shot goes in.
He does get more open looks than most players, for certain. Last night especially.

So while Yesufu might look like his shot is going in when he releases, it doesn't.
And Dejuan's you have no idea, because his shot isn't nearly as good looking from deep, but it does, more often.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yes’s shot is goofy looking too tho
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Yes seems to fire off shots going backwards.
Dejuan's a flat bucket guy.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:11 am Yes’s shot is goofy looking too tho
Speaking of shooting too much.

Or, rather, not knowing when to shoot.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Never is.

Terrible shooter = 39.3% career 3pt

Got it.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:16 am
ousdahl wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:11 am Yes’s shot is goofy looking too tho
Speaking of shooting too much.

Or, rather, not knowing when to shoot.
He got 7 shots off in a hurry last night!
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

isn't Yes's role specifically to come in and try to score, too?

I dunno what else we're expecting him to come in and try to do.

and despite that scorer-off-the-bench role, Self doesn't run much for him, but there's some chicken and egg in there too
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:21 am and despite that scorer-off-the-bench role, Self doesn't run much for him, but there's some chicken and egg in there too
This excuse is tired.
UnholyLivingDead

Post by UnholyLivingDead »

TDub wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:47 am dajuan had a bad missed layup.

Other than that he did well.

Would loved to have seen him hit 1 more of those three. But.....what I like most is that he's taking them. Zhe has to take them.

need Bobby to take them too.
Right after the KState kid air-balled a one-foot finger roll too, I just had to laugh.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:21 am isn't Yes's role specifically to come in and try to score, too?

I dunno what else we're expecting him to come in and try to do.

and despite that scorer-off-the-bench role, Self doesn't run much for him, but there's some chicken and egg in there too
The amount of attempts are fine, he just seems to shoot it when he should swing or drive and not look at the basket when he should drive or shoot.

His situational awareness is really lacking. Both within the sets and within the game. You’d take Yesufu over Harris in 3-on-3 but not 5-on-5.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

UnholyLivingDead wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:24 am

Would loved to have seen him hit 1 more of those three. But.....what I like most is that he's taking them. Zhe has to take them.

Right after the KState kid air-balled a one-foot finger roll too, I just had to laugh.
And then didn't ksu comically carry the ball immediately after Dejuan's horrible miss?
UnholyLivingDead

Post by UnholyLivingDead »

pdub wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:25 am
UnholyLivingDead wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:24 am

And then didn't ksu comically carry the ball immediately after Dejuan's horrible miss?
Yeah. It was a sequence of a frantic 45 seconds that was just insane. I believe the loose ball scrum where McCullar jammed his finger happened in that period as well.