Dajuan harris junior season

Kansas Basketball.
Deleted User 863

Re: Dajuan harris junior season

Post by Deleted User 863 »

pdub wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:22 am
ousdahl wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:21 am and despite that scorer-off-the-bench role, Self doesn't run much for him, but there's some chicken and egg in there too
This excuse is tired.
This.

We don't run plays specifically for 1 single person very often. Why on earth would we do it for Yes with JW and Gradey on the floor?

I think Q would be a bad coach.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:24 am
ousdahl wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:21 am isn't Yes's role specifically to come in and try to score, too?

I dunno what else we're expecting him to come in and try to do.

and despite that scorer-off-the-bench role, Self doesn't run much for him, but there's some chicken and egg in there too
The amount of attempts are fine, he just seems to shoot it when he should swing or drive and not look at the basket when he should drive or shoot.

His situational awareness is really lacking. Both within the sets and within the game. You’d take Yesufu over Harris in 3-on-3 but not 5-on-5.
He's a guard within our offense where the ball moves pretty well.
You need to know when there is a good scoring opportunity.
Certainly Jalen is going to take command or have plays called up for him. Same for Dick. Or KJ. Because they have advantages and skillsets our other guys don't.

But he has had plenty of chances to score where, no, the play may not have been specifically run for him, but the play had developed to the point where it was time for him to do his thing ( this includes fast breaks where he is given the ball ). And if he can't score in those moments, and his thing is scoring, i'm not sure he's going to help us all that much.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Dejuan had a play specifically ran for him though when he hit 1 of his 2 3's to pull the Jayhawks to double digits for good ( opened the game with a 3 and then mostly closed it with one ).
Deleted User 863

pdub wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:33 am Dejuan had a play specifically ran for him though when he hit 1 of his 2 3's to pull the Jayhawks to double digits for good.
I sure thought it looked like they ran that for him, but wondered if JW to the hoop was option 1 and kicking it to DH was option 2.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Yesufu isn't shooting too much or too little. He just needs to let the offense operate. His shots are usually with 20+ seconds on the clock and guarded
Deleted User 863

Our bench did great last night. All of them had moments. Everyone contributed. Total team effort.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Pettiford had some nice finishes.
Udeh was a defensive presence when he was out there ( 3 blocks in 10 minutes ).
Clemence did better than I expected he would on defense and hit a 3 that brought the house down.
Yesufu jacked up ill timed shots and pretended he got fouled leading to a tech.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

There were moments where each of our bench players killed us and when each of our bench players helped us.

In other words, best bench game of the season for us.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yea, nice to see signs of life from our bench.

This roster’s felt like one of our less deep ones otherwise
Deleted User 863

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:01 am There were moments where each of our bench players killed us and when each of our bench players helped us.

In other words, best bench game of the season for us.
Haha probably true.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:03 am Yea, nice to see signs of life from our bench.

(For no good reason.)
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

MJ Rice was on my milk carton this morning.
Deleted User 863

Being deep is overrated unless the injury bug strikes.

No need to try to manage consistent minutes for 10 or 11 guys. They are 40min games with a shit ton of breaks and stoppages. 8 guys is plenty most nights.
Deleted User 863

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:07 am MJ Rice was on my milk carton this morning.
Is he hurt again?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:09 am Being deep is overrated unless the injury bug strikes.

No need to try to manage minutes for 10 or 11 guys. They are 40min games with a shit ton of breaks and stoppages. 7 or 8 guys is plenty.
Last night was a great example of when depth can help you. If you want a 1-seed, you're a lot better off having depth.

Not to mention we play a 90-pound PG whose minutes clearly need to be managed.
Deleted User 863

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:11 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:09 am Being deep is overrated unless the injury bug strikes.

No need to try to manage minutes for 10 or 11 guys. They are 40min games with a shit ton of breaks and stoppages. 7 or 8 guys is plenty.
Last night was a great example of when depth can help you. If you want a 1-seed, you're a lot better off having depth.

Not to mention we play a 90-pound PG whose minutes clearly need to be managed.
DH is listed at 160lbs-175lbs depending on where you look.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:52 am
twocoach wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:50 am
ousdahl wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:48 am If Dajuan makes enough of his wide open shots that defenses start thinking twice about giving him so many wide open shots, it makes our team’s ceiling a lot higher.
He isn't going to hit enough to do that. Any coach who stops that is choosing to leave someone else and everyone else is a better option so you just roll with it and live or die with the results.
Right.
But I do think you're still allowed to still say, man, I really wish he could hit those wide open shots, he could be even better than he is.
Agreed. But some people don't handle criticism of KU players well and only allow criticizing coaches. It's a thing that turns into unnecessary arguments like this all the time.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:07 am
ousdahl wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:03 am Yea, nice to see signs of life from our bench.

(For no good reason.)
I mean, our frontcourt rotation and depth is among the youngest…ever?

2 true freshman, one redshirt transfer in his first year of competition at the D1 level, and 2 sophomores, neither of which is necessarily a true “big”

But yea, our perimeter depth is a little more experienced, even if they don’t always look that way
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:17 am
twocoach wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:49 am
pdub wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:38 am It's not worth it.
Never is.
Vent your frustrations at your own peril around here apparently.

Harris played well but yeah, he had a few just flat out misses in close. He's a terrible shooter so I think him hitting any wide open threes he takes is found money at this point. Just treat them like Dok free throws. Hitting two in a game is an unexpected bonus.
Terrible shooter = 39.3% career 3pt

Got it.
It's Ok that you don't understand. I don't feel the need to try to explain it to you. Everyone else gets it.
UnholyLivingDead

Post by UnholyLivingDead »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:10 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:07 am MJ Rice was on my milk carton this morning.
Is he hurt again?
In the post game presser, Self said Rice told him he couldn't go today because of his back.